Wednesday, July 12, 2017

July 13 Thought for the day...what are you eating?


In my travels around the world, I have eaten, sheep face, every part of the pig you can imagine, dog, guinea pig, camel, and baboon and those are not even the stomachs turning things. I haven't purposely said, "Boy I want to eat something bizarre to our culture. These are the things that have been placed before me, as the cultures best, so I have gladly received them. Jesus tells us about that kind of thing.

And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name, they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; Mark 16: 17,18

I know I was talking about "eating" strange things, but we must understand the word used for "drink" means to consume any deadly or fatal thing, chemical, food, or drink. The word translated "hurt" means to harm, damage, disable, or make you ill. Are we supposed to test our faith by drinking poison, as some have done in the past? Absolutely, not!

Yesterday we talked about how Jesus sent the disciples out to share the Gospel in Luke 10:7,8 "And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house. 8 Whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you." As we are going about the Kingdom purposes we may end up eating mystery foods, things we aren't sure what they are. The disciples had added pressure in that they would eat foods offered to idols, things that went against their culture and foods they were not used to digesting. Jesus was saying, "don't worry about what you will eat or drink, as long as you are a believer, whatever is put in front of you, I will bless and keep you from harm."

Do we test this, no I don't think we should ever purposely drink or eat things we know are bad but if we do, it will not have a long-lasting effect on our systems? It is always a matter of faith, we must be believers that know God is with us and for us. We must know wherever He sends us He will protect and bless

No comments: