Friday, May 26, 2017

May 26 Thought for the day...giving your all



Many years ago the Lord met me in such a dramatic way that I was challenged with a simple but profound call, which has become part of my daily prayer. Break my heart with the things that break your heart, help me to see people, things, and circumstances the way that you do, and teach me to be a man 100% sold out to you. Even though that prayer was many years ago, I am still learning all three parts. Paul challenges us to live that way

"So, affectionately longing for you, we were well-pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God but also our own lives because you had become dear to us" 1 Thessalonians 3:8

Here is what I mean. In this one sentence, Paul is challenging both leadership and laity with his example. He begins by saying I am thrilled to have taught you the life-giving word of the Gospel. We know Paul was a master theologian. Most of the New Testament are his writings. He was a strong preacher of the Word.

He went beyond the word by saying "also our own lives". He was living the gospel as well as preaching it. I remember running into a guy at the gym who wanted to argue Calvinism with me. He did have some good points as many with a theological bent do but then I posed the question, "with all of your study of the word and John Calvin's teachings, how many people have you lead to Christ? How many families have you helped to heal? Tell me about the fruit in your ministry regarding lives changed, the poor hearing the Gospel, the captive is set free? His answer sadly was "none". 

It is not enough for anyone to be able to preach the Gospel. It is just as important and actually at times more so to live the Gospel before people. Do people know you are a Christ-follower by your actions or only your words? Do they see you facing similar problems to their's and not losing it, growing fearful or angry? Do people see you as a loving person who cares about them? Do you live in fear, anxiety, and worry about tomorrow? Do you have complete confidence the Lord has your tomorrow? Does the way you work, do your taxes, spend your money, time, and talent show you are a Christ-follower?

It is never enough, as a Christ-follower to talk about the light we must be the light...as William Tyndale, a translator of one of the first English translations of the Bible and martyr for the Kingdom. "I set myself on fire so that others may come and watch me burn." The inference being give your all for the Gospel so that others will see the truth.

No comments: