Thursday, October 6, 2011

Christianity 101 - Jesus part 3

What other religions say about Jesus will be part of the argument that you will hear through them or others who really haven't read the Bible. It is also important that we understand what major claim Jesus made about himself.

What do other religions say about Jesus?

Mormons believe he was created not eternally existent. He is the spirit child of the heavenly Father and heavenly mother. Brother of Satan
JW believe Jesus is God’s son but inferior to him, He was not raised bodily from the dead.
Muslims believe He was a prophet and the next to the last to Mohammed. He did not die on a cross and was not God’s son
Buddhist, Hindus see him as a great teacher in some circles even a transcendent Buddha

Did Jesus say He was God?

What he said…..

Jesus said He is “I am” John 8:56 - 58

56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

God's name in the Hebrew is YHWH transliterated "I Am"

The Pharisees knew He was saying that he was John 10:30-33

30 I and the Father are one.” 31 The Jews picked up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?” 33 The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.”

Additional Scriptures

John 12: 44 - 46
John 14: 6 – 9

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7) If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
8) Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9) Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10) Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?

John 8: 12 – 14

Again therefore Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world; he who follows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life." The Pharisees therefore said to Him, "You are bearing witness of Yourself; Your witness is not true." Jesus answered and said to them, "Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true; for I know where I came from, and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from, or where I am going."


CS Lewis in summarizing St. Augustine said this…

(P): Jesus claimed to be God.
(Q): One of the following must be true.

1. Lunatic: Jesus was not God, but believed that he was.
2. Liar: Jesus did not believe he was God, but spoke as if he did.
3. Lord: Jesus is God.

No comments: