Wednesday, October 24, 2018

October 24 Thought for the day...pursue the call


I know what the call of God is on my life. My passion is that every person becomes who God has called them to be. If they are not a Christian that they become one. If they are a Christian that they know and fulfill their calling. We must change our world, and if every person doesn't fulfill their calling, it will take so much longer. Ultimately my call is to change our communities, state, nation, and the world! Paul challenges us about our calling in Philippians.

"Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me." Philippians 3:12

Paul knew his calling. He could see the big picture the Lord had for him, and he was not giving up. Even in prison, he knew his calling had not been fulfilled, so he had the confidence to keep pressing on and pushing forward. One of the many benefits I have found from knowing my calling is that I can be completely confident that the devil can't stop me, and I won't die until I have fulfilled his call on my life as I keep walking with Him.

When Paul is saying "perfect," that word means ripe, mature, complete. Paul is saying, with confidence, I have so much more to do. He had traveled the Mediterranean, shared the Gospel thousands of times, written most of our New Testament, spoken to Kings and the poor, yet he knew he had more to do. There are a joy and a confidence that comes with knowing your assignment.

Then Paul says, "I press on." Here is the meaning behind that statement, guys in my region will especially get this. It means to aggressively pursue, to hunt prey, not to give up until the trophy is attained. Just like when people are hunting, they strategize as to the best way to pursue and capture their prey when Paul says I press on this is what he means!

How do you find your call? Here is a quick way to understand it

1) What are your gifts, talents, and desires these are generally things the Lord has blessed you with that are signs of your calling
2) What drives you crazy? Part of our call is to fix a problem. Generally what drives you crazy is also part of your call to bring healing, repair, or solve some problem
3) Ask others what they see in you that may be your call. Your spouse, friends, pastor all may see things in you that are obvious to them that is your call!

This is not a perfect way to understand your call, but it will definitely begin you on a journey to understanding. Once you know it, pursue it, run your race to win!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow just read this at 9:55 am my prayer this morning was for God to reveal what His calling is on my life. I feel as though I struggle with this and at times I even feel maybe I’m doing something wrong that’s why I’m not sure what it is. I keep praying, seeking and yes even questioning but still no answer. I wish like you I had such a clear and sureness of my calling!