Friday, August 10, 2018

August 10 Thought for the day...the future stealer


Being the parent of two children who are successful in all that they put their hands to, I was at many events where they were applauded or cheered on. You always want your children to win, to be successful. In life, there are so many things that will cause us to fail, but what if we could win every time? Allowing the "fruit" of the Spirit to reign in you will ensure that result and in particular, applying this last portion can make a major difference.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, meekness, self-control. Against such, there is no law. Galatians 5:22,23

The definition of meekness from yesterday sounds like it might be redundant to "self-control, " but they are slightly different. Combined though they are powerful for our walk in Christ. Meekness is more about the control of our attitude in all things. The word that we define as "self-control" means to bring all desires under the control of the Holy Spirit.

Our flesh craves fulfillment. If you question that statement, watch the lewdness, arrogance and over the top violence on television. We are number one in the world for diabetes and heart problems. As a nation, we are pleasure and wealth addicted. However, the amount of teen suicide, opioid, heroin, and alcohol-addicted people shows us that pleasure is not it is all cracked up to be.

God's radical plan is that He created us with a purpose and plan and that all of our drive and passion was created to fulfill that plan. Our flesh and the enemy are in rebellion to our fulfilling God's plan, so they both try to get us to compromise, so we are always wanting and never being satisfied.

Self-control is not used to limit us, but to keep our drive and passions focused on fulfilling the dreams God has for us. About 3 years ago, I read this scripture, 1 Corinthians 9:27, "But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified." It hit me like the proverbial ton of bricks. It was not that I was overeating or purposely doing anything to violate Scripture, but my lack of self-control in caring for my body was convicting. See a lack of self-control can short-change God's plan in my case; high blood pressure and cholesterol could take me out before I can fulfill all God had for me. Not disciplining my time or sleep habits all in the name of caring for others, was going to kill me. It was nothing bad, but it was bad for me. I welcomed the Holy Spirit's help, and for me, I am feeling healthier, stronger, more focused, and productive because I allowed the Holy Spirit to take control of an area I didn't understand was out of control.

So many lives get derailed due to passions, desires that are not controlled. Look at your life. Is there anything that is stealing your future? Welcome the fruit of the Holy Spirit to fulfill your dreams!

No comments: