Wednesday, May 9, 2018

May 9 Thought for the day...agreement with God


There are some people I completely trust. Unless someone has taught me otherwise, I tend to trust people first and not be suspicious of them until they prove otherwise. Trusting God completely is something that most people work on for a lifetime. The author of Hebrews is encouraging us to do just that in Hebrews 10:23

"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful."

We have all known people that talk a good talk. They speak all of the right words, it would appear that their "confession" is true but as you get to know them something is off. Their walk with the Lord is not as it should be their walk is not matching their talk. They have anger issues, lying issues, lust issues, bitterness or any faction of the flesh fully alive in them.

I am not talking about people who are trying to follow the Lord. We all have issues that we are working to overcome but ones who are playing the church game to impress others rather than to love both God and people. The difference is found in their "confession."

The word "confession" is what I want us to focus on today. This word is a bit tricky. The idea is you take God's word; you memorize it, practice it in your life, then choose to make it yours. It is making God's word alive in you in such a way as you have so completely come into agreement with His words. It is not just something you know, but it is part of who you are, your agreement is as if your heart and God's heart are completely in sync with one another.

The evidence of this synchronicity is that your confession is no longer empty chatter but is life-giving and powerful to change the world around you. You are no longer speaking mere words but words that are in complete agreement with a relationship with God. You know His heart, His words, and you are living them powerfully. This "confession" makes it easy for God to keep His promises to us!

Each week as I prepare to preach, part of my early morning prayer is "Lord, I know your words in my mouth are just as powerful as your words in your mouth, let my confession be true. Let me only speak your words that I show I am in complete agreement with you!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One of my prayers is to let my walk be in line with my talk, that people would see Jesus in me and that my reactions would always be Christ-like. Sometimes I have to work on my reactions BUT I’m always willing to admit when I’ve messed up.