Tuesday, April 24, 2018

April 24 Thought for the day...the value of remembering


Memories are a tricky thing on one hand that can play with us and make use believe something in our past was not that bad. On the other hand, if not maintained, it is easy to forget things that are important. This was the problem for the church in Ephesus.

Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent. Revelation 2:5

The church in Ephesus had been one of the most thriving churches in the world. It was surrounded by idolatry and every kind of perversion, but in the midst of all of this, they had grown to be a powerful family and had changed their world. However, in just a few short years they had "fallen" from their former glory. To outsiders, they might have looked as if they were still strong, but they had fallen on the inside.

When Jesus says "remember" here is saying, constantly continually reflect, think about your past. This is an intentional act Jesus is telling the church to do. He wants them to remember the fire they once had when they first came to the Lord. He wants them to remember how "lost" they once were and how the impact of God's grace made them free. He wants them to remember, how they once desired to share the love, hope, and joy they had been given with others. These were all things they had forgotten and "fallen" from.

The word "fallen," means they had already completely collapsed, not that they were in process. It is most likely that their fallen nature was not an obvious sin, but more likely they had gotten caught up in religion. Rather than having a living relationship with Jesus they had walked away from the intimacy of prayer, being in the Word, sharing that love with others, all the things that keep us fresh. They had become satisfied with going to church rather than being the church. Jesu was part of their life rather than being life. They had gotten caught up in a form of religion rather than remembering that Jesus is Life!

The enemy might not be able to get you to fall into some kind of sin but he is very slick at robbing you of life and the abundant life Christ has called us to. Remember where you came from, what He has set you free from, remember His Word, remember to talk with Him always, remember to be the church not just attend! There is value in remembering!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There are times when we let circumstances suck the life out of us, I never really looked at it as if I was letting Jesus get sucked out of me. Thank you for showing us this. Once again my daily nudge! One of my prayers at times is for God to rekindle the fire within me. Not long ago I prayed for God to restore my memory of my past because things I chose robbed me of it, He brought what He wanted me to have back. Looking back makes me realize just how much God loves me, how many times He carried me and how He was there even when I didn’t know Him! I never want to be in a fallen state, caught up in “religion” I’ve seen this first hand and it’s a heart breaking sight. Jesus said “I am The Way, The Truth and The Life” it is Him that brings joy & freedom. Our past can either make us or break us it’s how we choose to remember it.