Tuesday, February 27, 2018

February 27 Thought for the day...not there yet, but well on your way



Those of you who know me, know I am certainly a type "A" driven personality. I am always looking to be better, to have a more significant impact, to see more lives touched, and to help others fulfill their destiny. I am always looking, forward. For me, that is a blessing, but for others, the idea of not being where we should be is a life full of regret. If you battle with not being where you should be then Paul has this for you.

"And you were dead in the trespasses and sins 2 in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience" Ephesians 2:1,2

I don't know if any of us are where we want to be, but that is what God's grace is for, to enable us to be patient with the Lord as He works all things for our good, causing our growth and maturity in His timing. Until then, Paul has written this passage.

Paul is reminding us of where we used to be so we recognize how far we have come. Our "walking" as defined here, we were entrenched in a lifestyle apart from the presence of God, in bondage to a worldly mindset, destined for hell. The implication is we were so enslaved by Satan that we were dominated, forced to serve him and his broken plan.

The word "spirit" is akin to the idea of the spirit of the age...the 1920s were called the "roaring twenties." The '60s were the Aquarian age or age of rebellion and experimentation, the '00s were the age of the bland. People were influenced by these "spirits." The non-Jesus world is being controlled by the spirits of this world.

"Following the course of this world" is about the overwhelming influences of culture, education, and entertainment. Helping us to understand that these things can control us if we are not Christ-minded in all we do.

Paul simply wants to remind us... at one time you were entrenched in a lifestyle, mindset that kept you in bondage, bound by a spirit that was not God, being overwhelmed by the things of this world, that is who you were!. Today, you are moving in freedom, you are growing and reflecting Jesus, you are learning to walk in and understand His great love for you. You might not be where you want to be but rejoice you are not where you were! Rejoice today God is at work in you!  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good word! I always say I may not be where I want to be but I’m sure glad I’m not where I used to be! I am a work in progress an ever growing, learning vessel that owes God all the credit for what He has done thus far in me.