Monday, October 23, 2017

October 23 Thought for the day...the art of listening


I am a fixer by nature, don't bore me with the minutia when I can quickly size up the problem and fix it. That gift has served me well...until I ran into some roadblocks. See if you don't wait to get all the facts, you can end up solving problems that are not really there, solving the wrong problem or even creating a problem because we have not learned to listen. Listening is critical for a Christian as Luke shares with us here regarding one of Paul's journeys.

"After they had come to Mysia, they tried to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit did not permit them." Acts 16:7

One of the most powerful keys to successful Christian living is learning to listen to the Holy Spirit. There are dozens if not hundreds of voices speaking at us all, all day long. Learning to drowned out these voices, no matter how well-meaning or caustic is a powerful gift we must all develop. My friend Myles Munroe used to say, "if you have two visions you have di-vision!" To be successful in the kingdom, there is only one voice that is critical, and that is the Holy Spirit!

When Luke is telling us that they "tried" to go to Bithynia, that word means they were determined with every means to fight to get there. They sincerely wanted, even felt compelled by their flesh to go. There is no end to the good things we can do. There is also no end to the trouble we can get into. Knowing what to do, when and how to do it takes practice and patience. We must learn to be still, to be quiet, to understand God's word, the word of the leadership He has placed in our lives, but especially learn to listen to that still, gentle voice of the Holy Spirit. Too often we trade our wants and desires for what the Holy Spirit wants to do because we don't choose to wait!

Paul and his team really wanted to go but the Holy Spirit "did not permit them." This phrase can actually be translated, the Holy Spirit said a loud and adamant, "No!" It can be embarrassing at times to hear "No" after you thought for sure you were hearing yes. There have been a couple of times in my life where I believed for a yes, assuming for a yes, but the Holy Spirit kept getting louder and louder until I heard the "No!" It is not easy to stop something you had planned, but if we trust the Holy Spirit, we realize His ways are always right, perfect, loving and sincere. He has our best interest at heart.

All of the things the Holy Spirit has said "No" to for me have been perfectly good things. One protected my life, another protected me from getting dragged down by an issue a brother was having. The two others, I may never know why. By learning to listen, I keep moving forward, I am growing in wisdom, grace, and an understanding of the Lord's heart every day. The enemy of best is not bad instead it is "good." settling for something that seems like God's idea for me but isn't. Learning to listen will save you from good and give you the nest!

No comments: