Monday, September 4, 2017

September 4 Thought for the day...keep moving forward


If you run a search online to compare one thing or another you will find an abundance of information. There are comparisons for every product imaginable automobiles, food processors, light bulbs to toilet paper. Anything you want to compare, you can easily find it. Should we compare ourselves to others? Here is what Paul had to say about that...

No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. Philippians 3:13,14

Paul is in prison looking at his life. He could have said compared to other people I have accomplished amazing things. I have preached and established churches all over Asia Minor. I have preached to great leaders in the Imperial Palace. I have written most of the New Testament. He could have said, "I've done enough, everyone else tries to catch up!" Instead, he makes the statement, "I have not achieved it" He knew while he had accomplished much, there was still so much left to do.

In 2 Corinthians 10:12 he says this "....they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." God has a unique plan and purpose for each of us. It is a different plan than anyone else. It becomes very foolish to compare ourselves to others because we are called to something different, and we will either limit or frustrate ourselves by comparison.

However, that being said we need to spend time looking at our lives, so we push ourselves forward. On a fairly regular basis, I will evaluate where I am compared to God's call? Am I as wise with my time, finances, and gifts as I should be? Am I fulfilling my purpose as I feel God has called me to it? The reflection is good. I can easily make the corrections when I am honest with myself.

Paul states that he forgets what lies behind. He was not only forgetting his failures but also not glorying in his successes knowing that he had so much more to do. He had to keep moving forward. Businesses often fail because they become content at their level of success when to remain successful they must keep moving forward. In Christ, we must be the same. To become Christ-like is a lifelong journey. We keep moving forward, running the race to win.

Don't settle for anything less. Don't focus on the accomplishments of others. Keep your eyes on all the Lord has for you. It will be amazing, and God doesn't want you to settle for anything less than His best. Keep moving forward!

No comments: