Monday, November 28, 2011

Give me my mountain!!!

Today is my birthday. I really like birthdays, not so much as a party or celebration but as a time of remembering what I have done with my past year, looking around at all of the blessings I have been given, and setting goals and hopes for the new year ahead.

I am a very blessed man. I have a wonderful wife and great marriage. I have two great kids, who love the Lord, each other and my wife and me. I have two jobs where I work with people that desperately love Jesus and want to see the world changed. I have the privilege of serving an amazing congregation of people who want to grow in Christ. I have the honor of using television to impact millions. I have great friends all around the world. This year I have had the privilege of seeing my Dad enter heaven and my Mom come to live with us. I am more blessed than any man should be, but I am not done.

My hearts cry is the same as Caleb in Joshua 14: 7 - 12, “Give me this mountain!”.

I was forty years old when Moses the servant of the Lord sent me from Kadesh Barnea to spy out the land, and I brought back word to him as it was in my heart. 8Nevertheless my brethren who went up with me made the heart of the people melt, but I wholly followed the Lord my God. 9So Moses swore on that day, saying, ‘Surely the land where your foot has trodden shall be your inheritance and your children’s forever, because you have wholly followed the Lord my God.’ 10And now, behold, the Lord has kept me alive, as He said, these forty-five years, ever since the Lord spoke this word to Moses while Israel wandered in the wilderness; and now, here I am this day, eighty-five years old. 11As yet I am as strong this day as on the day that Moses sent me; just as my strength was then, so now is my strength for war, both for going out and for coming in. 12Now therefore, give me this mountain of which the Lord spoke in that day; for you heard in that day how the Anakim were there, and that the cities were great and fortified. It may be that the Lord will be with me, and I shall be able to drive them out as the Lord said.”

Caleb had gone through the desert with the rebellious children of Israel. He watched them die off. He also saw a new generation rise up. God had made him some promises and all along, what kept him going, even to the age of 85, was God had made a promise to him. At 85 years old he was still scrappy enough to want to take on the giants. Before David, Caleb was the one that knew that if God has made a promise, even the giants that stand before us would come down.

Too quickly we give up. Too quickly we make excuses as to why we can’t accomplish something for God. Too quickly we give up on God’s promises. I can’t imagine it was easy for Caleb to put up with all the death around him. He watched friends and family die. He watched everything around him change. The thing about Caleb, was he did not take his eyes off of the prize.

What promises has God made to you? What are the giants in your way? Have you given in to all of the death, suffering, whining, and negativity around you or have you decided you are going to hold onto the promises of God.

Today is my birthday and I am saying, “Give me my mountain! I am choosing to hold onto the promises of God!”

Would you give me a wonderful gift today? Here is the gift I want from you. Would you remember the promises of God for your life and choose again to believe them and hold to them! God has given you your promises so you can impact your part of the world. The Body of Christ needs you to fulfill your call so together we can see the world changed!

2 comments:

Lori J said...

Hey Tim! We were in for the His Place taping on Tuesday. We really enjoyed it! Sorry we missed wishing you a happy birthday. Commenting on your blog, I too believe that everyone has a God-given purpose, but how does one determine exactly what that purpose is? I know I am blessed beyond belief, but why? Why me and not others? And more importantly, what do I do with it? Suggestions?

Tim Burgan said...

Lori J there are a few quick ways to know your purpose.

1) assess the gifts, talents, and personality God has given you. God has given each of these things to fulfill your purpose so they are clues to what God has called you to do. Please bear in mind your calling and vocation may not always be the same thing. Some times God allows us to have jobs to supply financially if our giftings are not such that would supply enough income.

2) What do you one to do? The scripture tells us that if we delight ourselves in Him He will give us the desires of our hearts. He gives us the desires because He placed them there. We were created to fulfill those desires.

3) What do those closest to you think about your calling. Often those closest to us will see things in our lives that we can not see. Ask those around you who you trust what they see your calling being.

There are many books written on the subject, but I would recommend simply praying, staying in God's Word and getting wise council from those you love and trust.