Thursday, October 27, 2011

What do you do when you are over burdened?

I have been hit with a number of people who are feeling so overwhelmed they don’t know what to do I felt I need to revisit a topic I preached a while ago.

Here is a simple scripture that everyone has heard at one time or another, these are Jesus’ words.

Matthew 11:28 – 30

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Three quick points

1) If you take Jesus’ yoke, He is the one carrying the load. In ancient times a larger, mature ox was yoked to a younger ox to teach them. The older ox carried all of the load and the younger ox merely had the yoke resting on it. Jesus was, most likely, seeing such a situation when He said this to the people. He wants us to understand He will carry our loads for us if we allow Him.

2) When we are “yoked” to Jesus we are right next to Him. He is within a whisper of all that is going on, He sees what is taking place in our lives. We can be assured that He is with us. We never need to feel abandoned again. Jesus is always right beside us an easy ear-shot to our every prayer.

3) We will never get lost again. If we are “yoked” to Jesus then we are sure to get where He wants us to go. We will fulfill His purpose for us because we can’t do anything but go where He wants us to go. God created each one of us for a purpose. If we try to fulfill that purpose in anyway but through the Lord we end up frustrated, empty, or at the very least fulfilling far less of what we can do than God had purposed.

Stop carrying the burden! Give it over to God. You may very well have to say, “God I can’t carry this burden. Please help me to release it to you.” As you do, you will see the Lord do amazing things through you. You will also gain back the peace, joy, and love you once had.

God does not give you burdens to ear you down or out. He gives them to you so you can change your world but He will carry the load if you will let Him

No comments: