Sunday, February 6, 2011

Run the race, stay focused.

Acts 20, 21

This fast is partially about controlling your focus. There are so many things that can be a distraction to us, so many things that demand out attention. Sacrificing time away from all of those things and spending it with the Lord always reaps great benefits. As this is the last Sunday before the end of our fast, allow me to challenge you with this: continue spending time with the Lord and His Word. I am not asking that you spend 2 hours per day, if you can give Him one half hour per day I believe you will see a life change take place. I will continue writing a daily devotional on the weekdays. If you want to continue following along you are welcome. Thursday I will begin with John.

Our walk with Christ is very much like Paul’s walk in these two chapters, we need to realize, it is a long distance run and we must keep our focus. Paul knew he was nearing the end of his earthly journey and knew he would not be returning to Ephesus so he gave them some final important instructions (warning this is the Tim Burgan translation) “I walked in humility so you walk in humility, I gave you all, so you give of yourselves to others. I know I am going to Jerusalem to begin my death march, but you have got to understand it is with joy that I do this, I know I have done everything God has wanted me to do, I have disicipled all of you and held back nothing. Listen to your leaders and be faithful to God and each other.”

Two details you should take note of: First, for the last few chapters the writing has changed from Paul and Silas or Paul and Barnabas to “we”. Luke is now reporting first hand of all that is going on with Paul. Second, Christians openly welcomed Paul and his group. They opened their homes for them to stay and they fed and cared for them wherever Paul and his group went. Hospitality was a key gift in the early church as it is today. A giving heart is not only of your finances but your time and energy as well.

It also seemed that everywhere Paul went people were telling him don’t go to Jerusalem you are going to die. He seemed determined to die. Paul did not have a death wish but he did have an appointment with Ceasar and many other powerful people on the way that would need to hear the Gospel. He knew it and was wiling to lay down his life for it. Completing that task, his race would be won and done and he could go home! Paul understood, death is nowhere near the end it is simply a new beginning on the journey of eternal life. If we believe too much in the value of this life, we will fear death and live in a low tremble of death our entire lives. We will be afraid to live life to the fullest because of what the future holds. If as Paul believed, we believe that life on this earth is transient but life after this earth is eternal, death has no hold nor can it create any fear over us.

God has plan for each one of us. All of us will die. Choosing to completely follow God and fulfill His heartbeat for our lives is the only way to guarantee that we will truly live.

By the way if you have watched every Steeler game this year you have given 72 hours to Steeler football. Go Steelers!

If you have spent the time on this fast, you have given almost 61 hours to the Lord.

Tomorrow Acts 22, 23

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog right before I go to my 6th and 7th grade class -- it sets my focus for them. I will stress this thought: Choosing to completely follow God and fulfill His heartbeat for our lives is the only way to guarantee that we will truly live.
How wonderful -- His heartbeat for our lives! Thank you for that marvelous image!
I haven't made all 61 hours for the Lord, but then again, I haven't made all 72 hours for the Steelers. I love them both but sometimes I don't give them full attention.
I will point out the "we" with Luke (I already circled it several times in my Bible) and the hospitality in the early church. I will also emphasize: Run the race and stay focused.
Thank you for your daily meditations and guidelines. They have clarified many points for me.