Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Always pack light.

Acts 8:23 – 40

Traveling around the world has taught me so many things. I have learned to adjust to different cultures and mind sets. I have learned that the American Christian way of think is just that and not always correct. I have learned that God will do amazing things when we allow him. I have learned what I really need to take with me verses what I think I need. I have learned some things can be used for a multitude of uses. For example, when space is of a premium hand soap can be used to wash your body, hair, and to shave and occasionally for lubricant on pieces of equipment. I have learned to pack light.

Philip was a “light packer” I am sure that he carried very little but everywhere he went he brought the “light”. In Samaria he reached the lost tribes of Israel who were regular people and then the Lord took him to share the Gospel with the royal court of Ethiopia were his impact is still felt today. We are encouraged to be ready in season and out and the “light” we carry needs to be shared with everyone from the lowest in society to the highest.

The Jews hated the Samaritans. They were considered not as pure as a regular Jew. They had their own set of customs and traditions that were different but God still sent Philip to bring the light. The Ethiopians were not only a totally different race but their culture was African not Middle Eastern. Philip could have said, No I can’t baptize you here, we must do it in the Jordan where Jesus’ disciples and John baptized. Philip was packing “light”. He wasn’t limiting the Gospel by his culture or traditions. According to Leviticus a eunuch is not even allowed into parts of the temple, limiting his worship of the Lord. Philip was packing “light” and didn’t allow a man to come to Christ because of the law either. He understood God’s grace. He knew this man loved the Lord and his condition should not stop him from coming to Christ.

How do we pack light? We carefully judge in ourselves the difference between what is truth and what is tradition or ritual. What is Jesus verses what is the law. We can not carry a heavy burden of religion with us but a daily walk of the true understanding of a love relationship with our heavenly Father. Ask the Lord to show you how you are “packed”. Are there things we must lay down are they stopping you from being all that the Lord needs you to be? Are you light enough to be “whisked away” by the Holy Spirit? Let the “joy” of packing light be yours as you trust the Lord more today.

No comments: