Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Lord's prayer?

John 17:1 – 25

I know many call the Matthew 6: 9 – 13 the Lord’s prayer but that is really the model prayer the Lord gave us to prayer. I believe this passage to be the “real” heart felt prayer of our Lord. This is one of my favorite passages of scripture, the compassion and the love shared between God the Son and God the Father is evident. Jesus love for us even as He is facing imminent death is simply amazing.

This passage is a conversation between and Father and Son. Jesus is talking to his Father that the job is done, everyone understands who He is and the relationship He has with the Father.

Jesus also makes it very clear that He and God are one. He says the glory of God to flow through both of them the way that it did “before the world was” verse 5. In verse 21 Jesus says that He and the Father are one.

What is this really all about? Jesus is having his final extended conversation with the Father before his betrayal and death and what is on His mind? You and me! He is saying Father we have beat back the enemies hold on humanity. I have shown them your love, they have seen you in me and they know that I am in you. I have proven to them that you really do love them and want relationship with them and that they can have a loving “oneness” with each other and you and I because of my life here and what I am about to do. Leave them here on earth to live a full and impacting life but protect and deliver them from the power of the fallen one. Fill them with love, joy, and truth! Keep them in your peace. We love them remind them of that. I have completed the race! We win!

God really does love us. Some times it is hard to believe or see but it is the truth. Jesus lovingly went to the cross for you and me. Satan does not have the power of eternal death over any believer. We have a secure place in heaven. Jesus did not stop His praying for us in the garden but He is always praying for us seated at the right hand of the Father. Our Lord’s prayer has never stopped!

No comments: