Monday, November 15, 2010

God's ideas are different than ours

John 16:1 – 14

Some times it is hard to understand God’s plans for us. There have been times in my life where I have simply been baffled by the things God is doing in my life. Times where I scratch my head and wonder. Some times the wonder is, “Why does God love me so much?” Other times it is the opposite, “What have I done that I am abandoned?” I know in my heart that the Lord would never abandon me but some times it feels that way. Faith is all about believing when you can’t see or feel. Hoping and keep hoping. God never fails!

The disciples were sure that Jesus was going to be made an earthly King. They saw the crowds following Him, the way He set right the wrongs of the religious leaders, how the people loved Him and many respected Him. God’s plan was not their plan. Jesus is a King but not of one nation or people but of all nations and people. He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The disciples believed He would establish some kind of kingdom and He did not just what they were looking for.

Jesus kingdom was different than what they were expecting, add that He would need to die to accomplish the establishment of the Kingdom and you have plenty of opportunity for misunderstanding. The disciples were an oppressed people. The Roman government was ruling their nation; they thought it was finally going to be over. Jesus spoke to them about eternity not simply the few short years we live here on earth. They need to look at the long term not the immediate.

Jesus basically told them, “I’m doing the work to establish the Kingdom and you are not going to understand it right this moment but wait I’ll explain later. Then I’m going away from you again but I will keep teaching, encouraging, and guiding you through the Holy Spirit. While it seems you are alone you never will be!” Jesus wanted us to understand that in bodily form He could only be one place at one time yet the Holy Spirit could be with everyone all of the time, empowering each person to affect their world for the Kingdom of God.

Have you felt abandoned by God? I know it feels at times like you are, but that will never happen, He loves you. Your feelings may betray you and cause you to “feel” abandoned but the truth, Jesus said is, “I will never leave you or forsake

No comments: