Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Forgiveness and Restoration

John 21: 1 – 24

I apologize to all of you who are daily reading these devotionals. I took the whole day off yesterday for the most part it was a technology free day. It was very restful. Thank you for your patience.

We all want to be forgiven when we hurt someone. We want to have relationships healed and move on with our lives Jesus wants more for us than that he wants us not only forgiven but restored as well this is part of the purpose of this chapter.

You know the story of Peter’s denial of Christ. Peter wore his emotions on his sleeve. There was never any doubt where Peter stood on any subject at any time. His denial was more crushing to him than anyone else. But despite his pain, he was the first to enter the empty tomb, the one to jump out of the boat and swim to shore rather than wait for the boat. His love went deep. Jesus knew his heart despite his actions. Have there ever been times when you have done something so completely wrong and against what you believe? It is painful, you can’t believe you have done it, perhaps this passage is for you.

As Peter drew near to Christ, Jesus engaged him in a odd conversation. Peter do you love me (three times, once for each denial). Then he gave him and instruction. The English does not do this conversation justice. The first two times Jesus says to Peter do you unconditionally love me and Peter’s response is I have great affection for you. Jesus recognizing Peter’s pain says OK Peter do you have great affection for me (we will start there) and Peter says Yes Lord all I can give right now is my great affection for you. I verse 19 Jesus basically says to Peter; I will meet you there. I understand, I will take what I you can give me for now that is enough for you to be my disciple for now. Don’t worry about anything else just “follow me!”

Jesus is never looking for perfection from us. He is looking for an on-going loving relationship. Where is your relationship with Him? Do you have great affection for Him as a good friend or are you at the level of unconditionally loving Him? Only you know that. In the world of unconditional love of there is a peace, love, trust and strength that are amazing. It is nice to have a friend in Jesus, but He wants to brig us all to a place of knowing His unconditional love for us.

No comments: