Thursday, June 17, 2010

Need and Call

Passing along, Jesus saw a man at his work collecting taxes. His name was Matthew. Jesus said, “Come along with me.” Matthew stood up and followed him. Matthew 9:9

As I was reading my devotions this morning this one verse struck me. Matthew had all kinds of responsibilities he was a subject of the Roman government to collect taxes, he had wealth, a family, a growing career and yet a Jesus call he left it all to follow Him.

I was thinking, how many times during the day does the Lord call me to do something? Am I too busy to answer that call, am I too caught up in what I think is important when in reality Jesus call to me is most important.

Sometimes we think we are not qualified to do what Jesus has called us to do. Was Matthew qualified to be an evangelist, healer, apostle, missionary, teacher, or writer? Probably not, but if we are willing to follow His voice He is willing to give us the anointing, gifts and talents to fulfill the call.

When Jesus calls, don’t be afraid, don’t run away, and don’t deny the call just do it! My friend Bill Wilson of Metro ministry in New York City always says, “If you see a need you are called, the need is the call!” God qualifies those whom He calls!

No comments: